I would like to return a Carlon product to you for inspection, evaluation and/or repair. What is the procedure?

Call us at 1.800.253.3098 and we will obtain your name, company name, product(s) being returned, and reason for return. You will then be issued a Returned Materials Authorization number (RMA). You may also do this electronically by e-mailing us at and providing us with all of the noted required information.

Once we have all required information, we will issue you an RMA number via e-mail. If your Carlon product was purchased through one of our Stocking Distributors, that distributor will be pleased to handle this procedure for you. All returns are subject to a re-stocking fee in accordance with our current policy. contact us for details.